Bayern Munich president, Uli Hoeness, said Renato Sanches should be given another year’s chance to show his best ability S8Poker.com.
Sanches, Golden Boy 2016 winner and elected 2016 Best Young Player of the Year, is battling to fulfill expectations at Bayern since his move last summer from Benfica.
In the last season, the attacking midfielder failed to score a goal or provide assists in 25 appearances in all competitions. He also played full for 90 minutes only once.
After a disappointing start to the season, Sanches was mentioned as a failed recruitment for Bayern.
However, club president Uli Hoeness gave defense to the 19-year-old. He gave a response regarding the future of Sanches at Bayern.
Bayern Munich coach Carlo Ancelotti (left), speaking with Renato Sanches in training session at club headquarters, September 12, 2016. (CHRISTOF STACHE / AFP)
“He could not prepare well after last year’s European Cup and suffered an injury in a long time,” Hoeness told Kicker, as quoted by ESPN FC.
“It is also a difficult question because (Bayern coach) Carlo Ancelotti is also under pressure to give you success, you can not sue from the outside so he chooses certain players,” he said.
In addition, Hoeness argues that Sanches deserves an opportunity, at least for another year to show his best ability.
“In the end, players have to be pretty good, I insist that we try it for another year,” he said.
“He signed a five-year contract so there is not much change if we try it for another year,” Hoeness said.